Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Right to Work

Our ward out here in Baltimore doesn't waste any time! The week after we moved in we got a call to meet with the Bishop; so our second week at church we went early to meet with the bishop and received our first calling as a couple... PRIMARY!


Aaron and I are teaching the 3 & 4 year olds. We taught our class for the first time on Sunday and they are so cute! We have three boys and one little girl. They are great but a little restless as most of them are right out of nursery, so we decided more interactive activities/lessons would be best. We're also all about the snacks, so yesterday we invested in some major goldfish! They seemed to like the granola bars we brought on Sunday, but we decided to go classic and buy the fish! Much to Aaron's dismay, but in true public health fashion we got the whole grain goldfish... we'll let you know how they are.

If you have any tips or great lesson ideas we're always open to suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the call!! Primary is always a calling I fear so of course, i will be called there at some point. No ideas for you, just chuckling inside. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught the sunbeams one summer after college, I foun a fun way to give out thetrears is to play a game called "Don't eat Pete". You lay a few crackers-- about 5 or 6-- on the table and then one of the children leaves the room-- I always ad them hold onto the door knob because there wasn't anyone else to go out with them. The other kids pick one of the fish to become
    pete. The child comes in and starts eating the goldfish. When he picks up the one whois Pete all the kids yell )reverently) Don't Eat Pete!

    They loved it. I usually tried to adapt it somehow to the lesson-- like don't eat Nephi. It really doesn't have much gospel application but wuth those little ones you get about 2 mins of intense spirtual attention when they and you will feel the spirit STRONGLY. But then the rest of the time it is hard to keep their attention. THis one was a sure win in my class. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm laughing inside with Tasha! :o) A Primary calling in my ward is a curse - well, one of the three Primaries (and three nurseries as well!).
    Coloring is always a wonderful way to go. Get a picture that goes with the lesson and let them have at it.
    Pictures. Lots of pictures. It'll be hilarious to see who the kids know and who they call grandpa...
    Nicely done on the goldfish - best investment ever for Primary!
    Good luck - you two will be such fun teachers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Camille!
    This is LeAnn (Hurley) Bowman, I found your blog through Ashley's. Good luck in Primary, it should be fun. Congrats on getting married and moving to Baltimore, how exciting! I would love to invite you to my blog, just send me your email address on facebook or to leannbowman@gmail.com. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron and Camille,
    You guys must be awesome as a team in Primary! Luckily, you have had excellent training with Zach's kids! :) I'll think about some things that have worked for me. One thing I just thought of is to let them act things out. They like to be active, so tell the story and then they can take turns acting out the story. Should be interesting...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete